OUR PATIENTS’ SAFETY DURING COVID-19
Our center is a controlled environment, staffed by providers who understand and have experience in managing infection and disease. Providing exceptional infection control precautions is simply a daily way of life for us.
That said, we know you have questions about your upcoming procedure. Please be aware that we are taking further steps to ensure your safety and comfort.
Before Your Procedure:
You will be screened by a preoperative call nurse who will review your medical/surgical history as well as ask questions to determine if you are a COVID-19 risk. These questions will specifically address signs and symptoms as well as travel history and possible exposure.
A responsible adult must escort you home. We will obtain their information and communicate with them during your stay via cell phone. We ask that they wait in the car or drop you off and return when you are ready for discharge.
All patients will be required to be COVID-19 tested prior to the day of surgery. Patients who test positive will be re-scheduled.
When You Arrive:
- Please come though the main entrance.
- You will be greeted by our screener who will take your temperature and screen you if we were unable to contact you during the pre-op call.
- We will provide you with a mask that you will wear throughout your stay with us.
- Once cleared, you will be directed to the registration desk or asked to have a brief seat in our lobby.
- If your escort needs to accompany you in order to assistance with your care, they must undergo the same health screening you will be subject to and follow all applicable center safety measures. Only one parent per pediatric patient will be allowed.
After Your Procedure:
- Your ride will be called when you arrive in the recovery room. The surgeon should have already reached out to your emergency contact at this time.
- When you are awake and alert, have a tolerable pain level, are able to tolerate a light snack you will be provided with discharge information and instructions.
- If you should need to speak with the physician about concerns or questions that our nurses are unable to answer we will speak with the surgeon prior to your discharge.
Is it safe to have my surgery?
- While there is risk with any surgery, we are taking every precaution to ensure you are safe during your procedure.
- We are taking extra precautions to prescreen patients prior to their arrival at the center.
- We are rescheduling any patient who may be a greater risk – NO COVID-19 positive patients are having procedures done at the Center.
Can I get COVID-19 from surgery?
- We keep our surgery center much cleaner than most other public places. We hold ourselves to the high infection control standards established for healthcare facilities.
- Our center is a controlled space, staffed by providers with experience in managing disease and infections.
What guidelines are you following for the safety of your patients during this time?
- We follow the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), New Jersey Department of Health, and World Health Organization.
- Our center maintains the standards of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) as well as accrediting organizations like Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC).
- All medical and business office staff wear mask(s) while at the Center. Our clinical/medical staff is provided with Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including, but not limited to, gowns, eye protection, and gloves, to keep them and our patients safe.
- We are maintaining safe distance protocols whenever possible. This includes limiting the number of people in the Center at any given time and spacing out chairs in the lobby, pre-op and recovery bays.
How do you clean your center to keep me safe?
- We follow all state and national recommendations to keep our centers clean and safe.
- We have increased our already stringent cleaning protocols. Only EPA-registered cleaning products are used, and waiting areas are cleaned at least twice a day. This includes high touch surfaces such as doorknobs, tabletops, countertops, handles, sinks and faucets. Hand sanitizer is available throughout the center.
- We clean every operating/procedure room both before and after every patient. In addition, we clean all of our public areas on a regular schedule.